Looking Ahead – April Events
There are some great events and activities in the Parksville & Qualicum Beach area. If you would like more information, give us a call 1-877-977-8669.
- Ongoing, Monday Open Mic – 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM Acoustic Open Mic every Monday day evening at the Shady Rest Pub in Qualicum Beach. Great food. C’mon down & play some tunes
- Ongoing – Tuesday Free Meditation Class – Learn how to meditate! Free classes every Tuesday from 5:30 to 7pm at the McMillan Arts Centre. Simple and effective techniques of Sahaja Yoga Meditation will allow you to master stress, improve your health, face yourself, and achieve balance in every aspect of life. Ancient knowledge and practices are adapted to modern day needs for people of all ages and walks of life. FMI Call (250) 954-5040 or visit www.freemeditation.ca.
- Ongoing – Wednesday Timberline Dance – Free, live classic Country and Rock’n Roll music that lets you hear yourself think and hold onto your dance partner! Every Wednesday, 7:30 to 10:30 pm Parksville Legion, 146 West Hirst St., Parksville. All adults welcome!
- Ongoing – Old Time Thursday Dances Every Thursday, September to June, 7:30 PM to 10:00 PM – Rotary House, corner of Beach and Fern in Qualicum Beach. A variety of dance styles, including waltzes, reels, jigs, two-steps, polkas, schottisches and more are played by the Coombs Old Time Fiddlers from a large repertoire of classic and country tunes. The format is two hours of dancing with a half-hour intermission. Non-alcoholic refreshments are provided. Admission $2.50 and snack included. Info: 250-586-3743.
- Ongoing Saturday Qualicum Beach Farmers Market – a great way to start your Saturday morning. Whether you’re visiting for the first time, or are a lifelong Oceanside resident, a visit to Veteran’s Way and Memorial is where you’ll find the best in fresh fruits, vegetables and berries, plants and cut flowers, fresh baked goods, jams and jellies, fish, chicken and pork, as well as a wide range of local crafts.
- Ongoing – Sunday Afternoon Dancing – On the first Sunday each month, beginning on January 5 at the Rotary House in Qualicum Beach. The music will play from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30. Dance styles include Waltzes, Polkas, Two-Steps, Schottisches, Jigs, Reels and more. Admission of $2.50 will include light refreshments. Everyone is welcome to dance and/or just listen to the good Old Time Fiddle tunes.
- Ongoing until April 21st – March & April – Brant Wildlife Festival – Various events going on the in community to celebrate the Brant geese.
- March 10th – April 14th – Nature/Wildlife Art Show – The Salish Sea Market is sponsoring a Nature/Wildlife Art Show of local artists and art in various media at VIU Deep Bay Marine Field Station as part of the Brant Wildlife Festival. Art will be for sale and include a public judging contest. 10am – 4pm daily. Admission is $5.
- April 2nd – Rosewall Creek Guided Hike – Rosewall Creek Guided Hike. A 3 hour guided trail walk through the second growth forest along the wide, fast flowing creek with historic remnants of early 20th century logging. The highlight of the tour is arriving at the waterfall, a hidden gem in this beautiful west coast rainforest. Wednesday, April 2, from 4:00 to 7:00 pm, cost is $32/1. Pre-register by calling RDN, Recreation and Parks 250-248-3252. View recreation programs online at rdn.bc.ca/recreation
- April 3rd – The Cougar – Paula Wild will provide a fascinating presentation at VIU Deep Bay Marine Field Station. Doors open at 6 p.m. with gourmet snacks available. $10 per person, available at the door.
- April 5th – Fish Hatchery Open House – Drop by the Marion Baker Hatchery in French Creek for a free tour from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Follow Lee Road to Miller Road and the Fish Hatchery is on your right.
- April 6th– Feat for Food Walk/Run – The 4th Annual Feat for Food 5 K walk or run takes place Sunday, April 6, 2014 at 10am. Support the Nanoose Bay Community Cupboard on Vancouver Island British Columbia. We Make a Difference Together! Rain or Shine. Start and finish at Nanoose Bay Dental, 2461 Collins Crescent behind Red Gap Centre. Hosted by Nanoose Bay Dental. Register online.
- April 6th – James Hill & Annie Davison in Concert- at the Errington Hall, 8:00 pm. The perfect evening of tunes, stories, and musical virtuosity from this east coast ukelele – viola duo. Workshop will be available. Tickets are $25 at Cranky Dog in Parksville, Heaven on Earth in Qualicum and the Errington General Store. Coffee and treats available.
- April 9th – The Notch guided Hike – The Notch Guided Hike. Hike up the gentle slopes of this iconic, local hill. The distinctly west coast Garry Oak and Arbutus meadow ecosystem create a peaceful setting for the views of Lantzville hills, Maude Island and Nanoose Bay. Wednesdays, April 9 from 4:00 to 7:00 pm, cost is $32/1. Pre-register by calling RDN, Recreation and Parks 250-248-3252. View recreation programs online at rdn.bc.ca/recreation
- April 10th – Shellshocked – View two films about the health of oceans and marine life at VIU Deep Bay Marine Field Station: Shellshocked and Ocean Acidification. Doors open at 6 p.m. with gourmet snacks available. $10 per person, available at the door.
- April 11 Until May 16th – 8th Annual Golden Shoe Hunt -Join us again from April 11th-May 16th to find the Golden Shoe! Clues and instructions for the locations of both the shoe and geocache will be posted weekly to rdn.bc.ca/recreation and on the RDN Facebook and Twitter pages starting April 11th. So get your hiking boots, maps, compasses or GPS ready!
- April 11th – What Women Want – is a unique annual event happening at Parksville Community & Conference Centre April 11th 6:00pm-10pm. What Women Want offers local shopping and service tradeshow, entertainment, cash bar, fashion show and much more in one central location. Tickets are available at vendors retail locations or on the website below for $20.
- April 13th – Brahms’ Requiem -The Parksville & District Community Choir presents Brahms’ Requiem. Sunday April 13th , 2:30 p.m. at Knox United Church, Parksville. Fifty voice choir and Guest Soloists: Soprano Andrea Rodall – Sicotte, Baritone: Michael Eckford. Music Director: Ann Barber The choir will be accompanied by Margaret and John Nelson , piano and organ and Gabe Boybell , tympani. Tickets $15 at Mulberry Bush Bookstores and at the door.
- April 18th – Stephen Fearing & David White in Concert at the Errington Hall– 8:00 pm -Fine roots and blues from iconic Canadian performers. Tickets are $20 at at Cranky Dog in Parksville, Heaven on Earth in Qualicum and the Errington General Store. Coffee and treats available.
- April 19th – Parksville Lawn Bowling Club Open House – Come out and try curling’s summer cousin,…lawn bowling. Parksville Lawn Bowling Club invites you to come out and try a great summer sport. Lawn bowling is fun, friendly and challenging, too! Wear flat soled shoes and comfy clothes. Prepare to have fun, meet interesting people and learn a new sport at some of the best facilities on the Island. We look forward to seeing you between 1-4 P.M. on Fri. Apr. 18 and Sat. Apr. 19.
- April 20th – Hamilton Marsh Tour – Bring your friends and family to explore this amazing marsh outside Qualicum Beach and learn about the interesting plants and wildlife with the Friends of French Creek from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. By donation.
- April 21st – May 11th -Rhododendron Bloom at Milner Gardens– Open daily 10:00am to 5:00pm, last entry 4:30pm. Tea Room open 1:00pm to 4:00pm. The Rhododendrons at Milner Gardens are one of the garden’s most significant collections. If you are curious when the best time to see them is, this would be it. Enjoy your walk through the woodland garden while the Rhododendrons put on their best display, then relax in the Tea Room. Bring mom for tea on Mothers’ Day when the Tea Room will be open from 11am to 4pm.
- April 26th 3rd Annual All Sprung Out Market – Make it! Bake it! Grow it! Market and Workshop Fair. Take a moment to think about blossoms, new growth, renewal, planning next year’s summer harvest and all the wonderful treasures Vancouver Island artists offer. All Sprung Out is the perfect event to celebrate all the amazing feelings Spring brings. April 26th 2014 9:30am-4pm is when the celebration beings at Parksville Community and Conference Centre.
- April 26th – Rhodo Show and Sale – MARS presents an exhibition of judged rhodos plus a host of vendors selling special rhodos, companion plants and more at the Parksville Curling Club. Special talks on gardening, lunch counter, and a door prizes. Free admission. Hours 10 a.m to 2 pm.
If you would like to add an event to our listing please email [email protected]