If you are looking to escape winter, Parksville is the place to be! Be sure to check out these fun-filled winter activities when you visit:
- Coombs Country Market – Famous for their goats on the roof, international foods, imported gifts, in store baked goods, and of course… ice cream!
- Cathedral Grove – Plan to spend a few hours wandering Cathedral Grove’s trail system and gazing up at 800 year-old giant cedars.
- Horne Lake Caves – Experience the magic of the underground cave world within this unique park.
- Milner Gardens & Woodlands - Immerse yourself in one of the Top 10 Gardens in Canada, according to Canadian Geographic.
- Rathtrevor Beach Park – Majestic old growth trees, beautiful ocean sunsets, a wide sandy beach to explore.
- Old School House Arts Centre – A heritage building that is home to three galleries featuring monthly exhibitions by British Columbia artists.
- North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre - A unique experience with wildlife viewing, eagle flight cage, and museum.
- Butterfly World & Gardens - Stroll amongst hundreds of free-flying exotic butterflies in their indoor tropical gardens.
- Golf - There are 6 golf courses close by that cater to every level of player and budget.
Dining - The Parksville area is packed with a truly diverse range of all-budget independent dining establishments – some secreted away in oceanside resorts and on backcountry roads, others clustered in the heart of town.
Host your Christmas Party with Sunrise Ridge Resort!
Are you organizing a Christmas party? Then bring your party to our party and let us give you and your colleagues a fun and memorable festive getaway to Parksville,centrally located on Vancouver Island. Our Resort offers spacious 1, 2, & 3 bedroom accommodations and our stunning venue will hold up to 50 people comfortably.
We host Christmas party nights from late November, throughout December and into early January. Ask how you can book our meeting space at half price!
Are you planning a wedding on Vancouver Island next year? Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort in stunning Parksville, BC offers the perfect location to celebrate an intimate wedding or celebration. Say your “I Do’s” against the floor-to-ceiling fireplace on the Hummingbird Terrace, nibble on canapés in the Heron Lounge, and celebrate with close friends and family in the intimate Sandpiper Room. Each space can be configured to fit any unique style. Click here for more information.
- North Island Wildlife Recovery Live Raptor Presentation at Rathtrevor Park Amphitheater (Wednesdays)
- Parksville Farmers Market (Fridays)
- Qualicum Beach Farmers Market (Saturdays)
- Errington Farmers Market (Saturdays)
- Origami for Kids Workshop (Aug 18-22)
- Art by the Beach (Aug 23)
- Downtown Qualicum Beach Sidewalk Sale (Aug 23)
- Fishy Fun Camp at Deep Bay Marine Field Station (Aug 25)
- Men’s & Ladies Nights at Fairwinds Golf Club (Aug 25)
- 2nd Annual Coombs Country Music Jamboree (Aug 22-24)
- Qualicum Beach Train Station Centennial Celebration (Aug 23)
- Old Time Thursday Dances (Thursdays, Sept 11-Dec 11)
- Parksville Farmers Market (Fridays)
- Qualicum Beach Farmers Market (Saturdays)
- Errington Farmers Market (Saturdays)
- P-ART-Y on the Drive (Sept 7)
- Paws in the Park (Sept 7)
- Horne Lake Canoe Tour (Sept 9)
- Tourism Vancouver Island Conference (Sept 9 -11)
- Knox 10th Annual Fall Fair (Sept 13)
- Old Time Fiddle Jamboree (Sept 20-21)
For more information on events in Parksville, please click here…
Why not take advantage of the great summer events we have going on in the Parksville/ Qualicum Beach Area! There’s something going on every day of the week!
- Sunday (The first of every month) Afternoon Dancing - On the first Sunday each month, beginning on January 5 at the Rotary House in Qualicum Beach. The music will play from 2:30 p.m. until 4:30. Dance styles include Waltzes, Polkas, Two-Steps, Schottisches, Jigs, Reels and more. Admission of $2.50 will include light refreshments. Everyone is welcome to dance and/or just listen to the good Old Time Fiddle tunes.
- Mondays – Open Mic - 7:00 PM to 10:00 PMAcoustic Open Mic every Monday day evening at the Shady Rest Pub in Qualicum Beach. Great food. C’mon down & play some tunes
- Tuesdays - Parksville Summer by the Sea Street Market, also known as the Craig Street Market, held every Tuesday night from mid-June to the end of August, from 6:00pm – 9:00pm.Over 140 exceptional artisans offer everything from wrought iron work, rock candles to wooden toys; we definitely have something for everyone. Add tasty food and a fabulous line-up of entertainment for your enjoyment. Come out and support our local merchants, as well as vendors traveling from all over Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands.
- Wednesdays – The Magnolia Court Summer Market in Bowser returns for a second year featuring 20 vendors, live music, food, and most of the shops in Magnolia Court will stay open including The Messenger’s Emporium, Lighthouse Gifts, Salish Sea Market, Powerhouse Fitness Club and Dress for Les. From June 11 until August 27th the market will take place every Wednesday evening from 6 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. in the parking area of the court.Proceeds from the market will benefit the Bowser Senior Housing Society in its quest to build a local facility.
- Thursdays – Qualicum Beach Uptown Summer Market – Thursday Evenings: 6:00pm – 9:00pm July &August Qualicum Beach, summer market will be running every Thursday evening from 6pm – 9pm from July 3rd to August 28th, 2014 on 2nd Avenue in Qualicum Beach. There will be vendors, musicians and local artists lining the street. Merchants and restaurants will be staying open in the evening for your shopping and dining pleasure.
- Saturdays – Qualicum Beach Farmers Market – a great way to start your Saturday morning. Whether you’re visiting for the first time, or are a lifelong Oceanside resident, a visit to Veteran’s Way and Memorial is where you’ll find the best in fresh fruits, vegetables and berries, plants and cut flowers, fresh baked goods, jams and jellies, fish, chicken and pork, as well as a wide range of local crafts. The Orange Bridge Market is open 10am until 2pm every Saturday from June 14 until the end of August. Crafts, clothing, flea market items, and entertainment. The Errington Farmers Market is open Saturdays from 10 AM to 1 PM, every Saturday from May 3rd to Sept. 27th, in The Errington Community Park, located at the corner of Veterans Road and Errington Rd.
Don’t forget to check out these other events you and the family won’t want to miss!
- July 12-13th – Parksville Sand Sculpting Competition – A world class event for Master Sand Sculptors and an official qualifying event for the World Championship of Sand Sculpting. Master Sand Sculptors travel from all corners of the globe to participate in our remarkable competition and exhibition in Parksville, BC. Sculptors have 24 hours over three days to create their masterpieces from just sand and water (and a lot of ingenuity!). Public viewing opens Sat, July 12 at 2 pm.
- July 13th – Skim Fun on the Beach at Qualicum Beach Beach Day- on 13 July 2014. Skimboard Demos. Skimboards to try. Skim fun for all ages. Come along and give it a go!
- July 14th – August 17th – The Quality Foods Canadian Open Sand Sculpting Competition and Exhibition- aka “Parksville Sandcastle competition”, is a world class event for Master Sand Sculptors and is an official qualifying event for the World Championship of Sand Sculpting! Master Sand Sculptors travel from all corners of the globe to participate in our remarkable competition and exhibition in Parksville, British Columbia, Canada. Sculptors have 24 hours over three days to create their masterpieces from just sand and water (and a lot of ingenuity!). Sculptures are open to viewing by the public until August 17th. Be sure to check out all the other events that take place at the beach during this month-long festival. This year’s theme is A Celebration of Music!
- July 18th- Salsa on the Beach - Are you interested in an evening of dining, dancing, fun and games under the stars in Qualicum Beach? On Friday July 18 the Qualicum Beach Chamber of Commerce in partnership with the Qualicum Beach Memorial Golf Course and Thalassa Restaurant present “Salsa Under the Stars”. For more details Salsa Under the Stars or call 250-752-0960 or contact [email protected]
- July 19th- 20th – The Parksville Lions International Kite Fest – is an extraordinary kite flying fiesta that celebrates the art of the kite. At beautiful Parksville beach, kite flyers of all persuasions will grace the skies with their colourful creations.
- July 20th – “Jazz, Tea & Cheesecake”… says it all.Our 9th annual celebration of the “Standards” featuring the Arntzens “Black Stick Band” plus “Company B”. Many cows for scenery. Bring lawn chairs and sunhat. Judy’s famous Little Qualicum Cheesecake made with low cal Fromage Frais may be the enduring star of our annual event at Morningstar Farm along of course with Phil’s fruity Mooberry Wine and Little Qualicum Cheeseworks samples, tea and coffee. Admission – Adults: $25; 18 & under free.
- July 26th – 42nd Annual St. Marks Fair – Saturday, July 26th, 2014 8:30 AM to 3:00 PM The fair has been held in July in Qualicum Beach since 1972, when it was started as a flea market. It has evolved into a really fun event for the whole family, with free entertainment, delicious food, a children’s area, and new surprises every year!
- July 26th - OSBC Parksville Pro/Am Skim Comp- Divisions for Beginners through to Pro Flatland Skimboarders. Sign up 10:30am for 11:00am start.
- July 26th – Panther Valley Day - Did you know that Parksville once was home to so many cougars that early settlers referred to it as “Panther Valley”? To commemorate Parksville’s early history and celebrate these beautiful creatures, the Parksville Museum & Archives at Craig Heritage Park invites you to join us for Panther Valley Day – a day of music, pony rides, face painting, scavenger hunts, and historical demonstrations! There will be fun for all ages at this educational family event.
- July 27th –Art in the Park - Art in the Park is a Parksville Beach Festival event that features 75 artisans showcasing and selling their home-made treasures. From photography, paintings and pottery to jewelry, glass art and wood. Event runs from 10 am until 4 pm and includes musical entertainment and food vendors. Artisans can apply online until July 20 (space permitting).
- July 31st- Aug 3rd- The Coombs Bluegrass Festival- is the oldest in BC, celebrating our 36th Bluegrass Festival this summer. Please join us for a fun filled weekend of bluegrass & camping, July 31, August 1,2, 3, 2014 at the Coombs Rodeo Grounds. Camping and parking available on site. For you regulars we have some surprises in store for you! Admission: Adult: $80.00 weekend pass; Children under 12 free.
- August 2-3rd – Shriner’s Show and Shine –Cruise on August 2nd and August 3, 2014 will be the 25th Anniversary of the summer Car Show in Parksville, BC. While it is the Car Show’s 25th anniversary it will be the first of many Van Isle Shriners Show & Shine Car Shows hosted by Shriners from the Nanaimo & District Shrine Club and the Parksville-Qualicum Shrine Club. It will be held at the Parksville Beach location as always along with the attendant vendors and sponsors.
- August 8-10th – Hidden Treasures - Dragon collective will be exhibiting a dozen local artists, wine and cheese, live music and more. Updates this summer on times. Friday night is opening night!
- August 9th – QF Festival of Lights – Quality Food’s ‘Festival of Lights’ fireworks display takes place a the Parksville Community Parks as part of the Parksville Beach Festival, the night before KidFest.
- August 9-10th – Coombs Fair – In 2014, our 101st Annual Coombs Fair will be held.This year, we’ll be celebrating all things PIG, so get ready to squeal for glee and have a sooey-t time!Since 1913, the Coombs Fair has been celebrating local agriculture and community. We’re a family affair with lots to do and see. From livestock to garden produce, arts & crafts, photography, needlework and domestic science, many hours of work go into the exhibits at the fair. Children and youth are an important part of keeping traditional, local agriculture alive in these ever-changing times, and 4-H is a huge component of our fair. We extend a warm welcome to everyone to come and enjoy the Coombs Fair.
- August 10th – Kid Fest - KidFest is a non-profit organization that works with community businesses, sponsors and groups to provide the local and visiting public a wonderful, fun-filled day of exciting musical entertainment, interactive activities and quality family time.
- August 15th – Music by the Bay Concert Series at Deep Bay Marine Field Station- Local musicians will perform a delightful mix of music while guests enjoy breathtaking views of Baynes Sound and feast on a sumptuous buffet dinner, prepared by resident Red Seal chef Lila Ruzicka. See below for more information about each concert. Doors open at 5:30pm. Dinner & Concert 6:pm – 9:30 pm $60/Show or $160/Series